Tis the season … Book award contests are everywhere. What do you do when you win a book award? The savvy author tells others about it. Don’t count on your publisher to do it if you are published by someone other than your own company. Wondering what Book Awards are worth their weight in entry fee costs? Author U posted a detailed list with submission guidelines in the January 2012 Resource news magazine that is currently available on the website. In February, it will only be available to members.
Get your computer open and:
1. Create the publicity to now support your book and drive up book sales. Write a media release that includes who awarded you, in what topic area. Make sure you include your book title (I’ve actually seen this forgotten), you as the author, publisher and where the book is available. For example, I live in Colorado—the top book store in Denver is the Tattered Cover—include that the book is available (and make sure it is). If you have a judge’s comment and appropriate, include it.
2. Tell the media world … it’s bragging time. Send the media release to your local newspapers, TV, radio or any organizations you belong to.
3. Think social media. Let your Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn Fans know … add the link to Amazon’s page for your book. You can create a video and post on YouTube. When I hear about AuthorU members or Book Shepherding clients, it is immediately posted on our Facebook Fan pages and announce in The Resource News Magazine that includes the cover of the book.
4. Have a photo with you, your book, award … post it, post it, post it … on all social media sites. If appropriate, link to them as well.
5. Blog it … blog about it on your blog; and if there are other blogs you’ve been following or are appropriate to connect with …announce to their world as well.
6. Add that you are an Award-Winning Author to your signature line for all emails.
7. Don’t forget your website. Get it on the Home page—include a photo of you and your award and book. Add it to your Media page … if you don’t have one, create it—use the logo of the group that honored you … once you win one award, that seem to start multiplying. Add to the page as they come in.
8. Bravo … it’s celebration time—share it with your friends—have a party!
Judith Briles is a book publishing coach and known as The Book Shepherd (www.TheBookShepherd.com) and the Founder of Author U (niversity (www.AuthorU.org), a membership organization created for the serious author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. Judith is the author of 28 books including Show Me About Book Publishing, co-written with John Kremer and Rick Frishman and a speaker at publishing conferences. Catch her radio show, Your Guide to Book Publishing on Thursdays at 6 pm, EST. http://rockstarradionetwork.com/shows/yourguidetobookpublishing
Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU and TheBookShepherd on Facebook. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact her at Judith@Briles.com.
If you are looking for FREE author and book coaching … call in to Judith’s Author Monday Mornings at NOON Eastern each Monday. The number is 218-632-9854; Access Code 1239874444 … have your questions ready–there’s a full hour to ask and listen.
Latest posts by Judith Briles (see all)
Was this helpful? Get more FREE tips and insight: