Every few weeks, hubby John and I get together with another couple—it’s our dinner and a movie night. Sometimes it’s a movie; others, it’s a TV series. Last week, we dove into Netflix’s House of Cards fourth season with Kevin Spacey and Robin Penn. I’m a fan from the get-go and was mesmerized by the BBC series that surfaced in 1990 that starred Ian Richardson. As I watched the first five episodes, I viewed scenes that shouted out how to make a point (both in words and visuals); how to hook a listener to totally focus on what the actor was saying; and how to close a deal.
As the fifth episode aired (and the one we all agreed—enough for the evening), a phrase popped that could easily become the mantra for we authors: If you don’t like how the table is set, turn over the table.
My aha was this … if you don’t like what is going on in and around your book … change them. Don’t we all “tolerate” a variety of items in our publishing lists and marketing/sales lists? Things that might be bugging the heck out of us, yet we plow through and tolerate them? Maybe it’s time to ask the question: Do I like how the table is set for me, for my book? And if you respond, “Nope,” then maybe it’s time to turn over the table.
Now, before your toss everything out, do a reality check. Yes, there’s lots we aren’t totally thrilled with. There are “rules” we need to abide by in some cases. There are things that may be outside your control and can’t alter. Yet, there are plenty that you can control. Things that you can do something about. So, do something. Turn your authoring table over.
- If you don’t like the sales and marketing outcomes, turn the table over the sales and marketing table in what you are doing.
- If you don’t like how your cover is being designed, turn the table over in what is being done. Note: if you aren’t clear in what you like and don’t like, then you need to flip the way you are articulating your direction to the designer.
- If you don’t like the way your social media campaign is rolling out—what isn’t you don’t like and find examples of what you do like (better yet, what is working for a competitor). Turn your social media table over.
- If you don’t like the number of signups for your blogs or visitors to your website—find examples of blogs and sites in your genre that have the coveted numbers of visitors you relish and could mimic in some way. Turn your blog and website table over.
- f you aren’t making money you want, why? It’s time to turn the table in what you are doing.
In other words, do something about whatever “it” is that you think you need fixing in.
Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and is the Founder of Author U, a membership organization created for the serious author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. Judith is the author of 34 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (ForeWord IndieFab Book of the Year), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and a speaker at publishing conferences. Book #34 was published this summer: The CrowdFunding Guide for Authors & Writers. Get your copy.
Become part of her inner circle by joining the Author’s Ark and exclusive monthly webinar and coaching event. Each summer, she holds Judith Briles Book Publishing Unplugged, a three day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. In 2015, the dates are August 27-29th. Her audio and workbook series, Creating Your Book and Author Platform is now available. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for Author U – Your Guide to Book Publishing on the Toginet Network at bit.ly/PublishingShow .
Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU and Judith Briles – TheBookShepherd on Facebook. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact Judith at Judith@Briles.com.
Author U is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the author who wants to be seriously successful. Monthly education programs delivered face-to-face and online, The Author Resource ezine, BookCamps and the annual Author U Extravaganza are tools designed for authors pre, during and post publishing of their books. Join AuthorU.org today.
If you are looking for FREE author and book coaching … call in to Judith’s Author Monday Mornings at NOON Eastern each Monday. The number is 218-632-9854; Access Code 1239874444 … have your questions ready–there’s a full hour to ask and listen