Cover and Book Designer Rebecca Finkel of F+P Design offers 5 essential book design tips for busy authors:
1. Have your book professionally edited before embarking on design. It will save headaches down the line.
2. Hire a professional cover/book designer. Let me focus on what I do best, book design, to make your book look it’s best.
3. Carry some element from the cover to the interior. It makes the book more sophisticated and interesting.
4. Decide early if you want an eBook as well. Let the designer set the print book up so it easily converts to an eBook.
5. Don’t forget the back cover and spine for design and content.
6. Take a trip to the books store (not Amazon) before you start book design. Get a sense of you competition, but also printing options and your personal favorites.
7. Know your reader/market.
Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and is the Founder of AuthorU.org, a membership organization created for the serious author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the ’80s. Judith is the author of 35 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (Foreword IndieFab Book of the Year), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and a speaker at publishing conferences. Book #35 was published in 2016: How to Avoid 101 Book Publishing Blunders, Bloopers & Boo-Boos. Get your copy now.
Each summer, she holds Judith Briles Book Publishing Unplugged, a three-day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. In 2017, the dates are June 22-24th. Her audio and workbook series, Creating Your Book and Author Platform is now available. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for “AuthorU-Your Guide to Book Publishing” on the Toginet Network at bit.ly/PublishingShow.
Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU, and join the Facebook group Book Publishing with The Book Shepherd. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact Judith at Judith@Briles.com.
Author U is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the author who wants to be seriously successful. Monthly education programs delivered face-to-face and online, The Author Resource ezine, BookCamps, and the annual Author U Extravaganza are tools designed for authors pre-, during and post-publishing of their books. Join AuthorU.org today.
If you are looking for FREE author and book coaching … call in to Judith’s Author Monday Mornings at NOON Eastern each Monday if you are an AuthorU.org GOLD member.
AuthorU® and The Book Shepherd® are registered trademarks