1. Don’t eat … they may not smell your liverwurst sandwich, but your participant’s can hearing you chewing, sipping and see you.
2. Don’t be late … period. And if you are, come on quietly—participants don’t need to hear that the dog got out or you had a call that went over. The host will know you re there and participate when appropriate.
3. Don’t leave your door open … AND, post a sign that you in in a video conference, then close it. Enough said.
4. Don’t type on your keyboard for notes … either take them by hand or get a wireless keyboard—meaning it’s detached. Other participants can hear you clicking away.
5. Don’t look like you just rolled out of bed … really—comb your hair, add some lipstick if you wear it—you are on camera.
6. Don’t have your background looking like it’s set for a garage sale … really, declutter/simplify what you can—you want you to be the focus, not all the stuff around you.
7. Don’t interrupt … raise your virtual hand if you have a question.
Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and is the Founder of Author U, a membership organization created for the serious author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. Judith is the author of 34 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (ForeWord IndieFab Book of the Year), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and a speaker at publishing conferences. Book #34 was published this summer: The CrowdFunding Guide for Authors & Writers. Get your copy.
Become part of her inner circle by joining the Author’s Ark and exclusive monthly webinar and coaching event. Each summer, she holds Judith Briles Book Publishing Unplugged, a three day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. In 2015, the dates are August 27-29th. Her audio and workbook series, Creating Your Book and Author Platform is now available. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for Author U – Your Guide to Book Publishing on the Toginet Network at bit.ly/PublishingShow .
Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU and Judith Briles – TheBookShepherd on Facebook. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact Judith at Judith@Briles.com.
Author U is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the author who wants to be seriously successful. Monthly education programs delivered face-to-face and online, The Author Resource ezine, BookCamps and the annual Author U Extravaganza are tools designed for authors pre, during and post publishing of their books. Join AuthorU.org today.
If you are looking for FREE author and book coaching … call in to Judith’s Author Monday Mornings at NOON Eastern each Monday. The number is 218-632-9854; Access Code 1239874444 … have your questions ready–there’s a full hour to ask and listen