Book Award Announcement Season is here What do you do when you win a book award? The savvy author tells others about it. Don’t count on your publisher to do it if you are published by someone other than your own company.
It’s time for you to start bragging … and formally announce you and your books kudos to the world.
Get your computer open and:
1. Create the publicity to now support your book and drive up book sales. Write a media release that includes who awarded you, in what topic area. Make sure you include your book title (I’ve actually seen this forgotten), you as the author, publisher and where the book is available. For example, I live in Colorado—the top book store in Denver is the Tattered Cover—include that the book is available (and make sure it is). If you have a judge’s comment and appropriate, include it.
2. Tell the media world. Send the media release to your local newspapers, TV, radio or any organizations you belong to.
3. Think social media. Let your Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Pinterest, YouTube and any other Fans know … add the link to Amazon’s page for your book. You can create a video and post on YouTube. When I hear about AuthorU members or Book Shepherding clients, it is immediately posted on our Facebook Fan pages, the next It’s Monday at Author U and announced in The Resource ezine that includes the cover of the book.
4. Have a photo with you, your book, award … post it, post it, post it … on all social media sites. If appropriate, link to them as well.
5. Blog it … blog about it on your blog; and if there are other blogs you’ve been following or are appropriate to connect with …announce to their world as well.
6. Add that you are an Award-Winning Author to your signature line for all emails.
7. Don’t forget your website. Get it on the Home page—include a photo of you and your award and book. Add it to your Media page … if you don’t have one, create it—use the logo of the group that honored you … once you win one award, that seem to start multiplying. Add to the page as they come in.
8. Get it on your Amazon and B&N pages.
9. If you are speaking on your book, or pitching your speaking skills to a group, make sure you let them know with a quick email or note of your award. You never know—it could be just the thing to push the program committee to select you.
10. Bravo … it’s celebration time—share it with your friends—have a party!
Judith Briles is known as The Book Shepherd (www.TheBookShepherd.com), an author and book publishing expert and the Founder of Author U (www.AuthorU.org), a membership organization created for the author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. Judith is the author of 30 books including Show Me About Book Publishing, co-written with John Kremer and Rick Frishman and a speaker at publishing conferences. Her latest, Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms is just being released. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for Your Guide to Book publishing on the www.RockStarRadioNetwork.com. Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU and TheBookShepherd on Facebook. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact her at Judith@Briles.com.