Editing confuses many aspiring authors ..your tips today start out with:
1. Always … Always … Always use an editor who “get” your genre. Your editor is a critical investment to the success of your book. No exceptions.
2. Depending on your writing skill, you may need far more than just a copy editor … the one that does the final check for grammar and typo checks.
3. Lack of or poor editing is the #1 thing that will get a book poorly reviewed and ranking in book competitions.
4. Know that a Content/Developmental editor is someone who does heavy duty restructuring and rewriting of your book. In reality, many end up almost ghosting a book if you need that much help.
5. Always have what I call a “cold-eye” edit POST formal layout of your book. Cold-eyes are done by an editor who has never seen your book before–you will be shocked with the variety of catches that happen at this final stage … and glad that you had it done.
Judith Briles is a book publishing expert and coach. She empowers authors and is the Founder of Author U, a membership organization created for the serious author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. Judith is the author of 34 books including Author YOU: Creating and Building Your Author and Book Platforms (ForeWord IndieFab Book of the Year), Snappy Sassy Salty: Wise Words for Authors and Writers and a speaker at publishing conferences. Book #34 was published this summer: The CrowdFunding Guide for Authors & Writers. Get your copy.
Become part of her inner circle by joining the Author’s Ark and exclusive monthly webinar and coaching event. Each summer, she holds Judith Briles Book Publishing Unplugged, a three day intensive limited to a small group of authors who want to be seriously successful. In 2015, the dates are August 27-29th. Her audio and workbook series, Creating Your Book and Author Platform is now available. Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for Author U – Your Guide to Book Publishing on the Toginet Network at bit.ly/PublishingShow .
Follow @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd on Twitter and do a “Like” at AuthorU and Judith Briles – TheBookShepherd on Facebook. If you want to create a book that has no regrets, contact Judith at Judith@Briles.com.
Author U is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the author who wants to be seriously successful. Monthly education programs delivered face-to-face and online, The Author Resource ezine, BookCamps and the annual Author U Extravaganza are tools designed for authors pre, during and post publishing of their books. Join AuthorU.org today.
If you are looking for FREE author and book coaching … call in to Judith’s Author Monday Mornings at NOON Eastern each Monday. The number is 218-632-9854; Access Code 1239874444 … have your questions ready–there’s a full hour to ask and listen
Latest posts by Judith Briles (see all)
Was this helpful? Get more FREE tips and insight: