Shine as an expert … Rise as the thought leader!
If there was one thing that rose to the top at Author U’s excellent Brunch and Learn workshop with Patrice Rhoades-Baum, it was the need to clarify the value you deliver to your reader. Can you? Really?
Her tag line is: Shine as an expert. Step up as a thought leader™ and you can find out plenty about her via her website, www.BrandingAndWebsites.com.
As The Book Shepherd, mine is: Creating successful authors with practical publishing audience™.
What’s yours … and do you have one?
Questions for you …
- Do you know what your readers’ needs are?
- How will you/do you address the challenges and problems that they encounter in your writing?
- What is unique about you?
- What sets you apart from every other author who writes in your genre?
- What is your secret, your special sauce, that you bring to them?
- Why is your voice, your work, different from everyone else?
- Who are your competitors?
- What do your competitors do differently than you do?
- What do your competitors do better than you do?
- What do you do better than your competitors?
- What value and benefit do you bring to your reader?
Time after time, authors are asked about their books—“Tell me about your book …” They do it in perpetuity.
They are asked about what they do; what their expertise is; what their books are about—“Tell me about them …” They do it in perpetuity.
Stop it. This is a critical part of your work as an author. It is the core of your brand, your authoring business. As Patrice Rhoades-Baum says, “Don’t be ooshie-gooshie with your words!”
Ooshie-gooshie, not for you … definitely not for me.
Judith Briles is known as The Book Shepherd, the Author and Publishing expert and the Founder and Chief Visionary Officer of Author U, a membership organization created for the author who wants to be seriously successful. She’s been writing about and conducting workshops on publishing since the 80s. She’s the author of 31 books including Author YOU: Creating Your Book and Author Platform that has won four multiple “best” in the writing/publishing categories in book award competitions in 2013. Her latest book is Snappy Sassy Salty … Wise Words for Authors and Publishers has just been released.
Join Judith live on Thursdays at 6 p.m. EST for Author U-Your Guide to Book Publishing on the Toginet network at: http://togi.us/authoru (you can subscribe on the show’s Home page to get weekly updates of the latest show). Connect on Google+ and become a Peep on Twitter at @AuthorU and @MyBookShepherd.
Latest posts by Judith Briles (see all)
Was this helpful? Get more FREE tips and insight: